Completion of 80 percent of the construction work at the University of Galala. The university includes many colleges and majors serving the community.
Control of Food Quality & Safety Program
It deals with the basics of food ingredients, the growth of microorganisms, their relation to the chemical structure and the role of useful microorganisms to produce food that is biologically supported and the harmful (bacteria, fungus as well as harmful), which cause corruption and disease for humans to acquire skill as food quality monitor and food safety.
Specialized topics of the Program
- Food quality and safety management.
- Legislation in the field of food (international, regional and local legislation).
- Food safety management system in food factories in accordance with the requirements of ISO 22000: 2005.
- HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) to ensure the performance and safety of food processing processes.
- Food contamination, its sources and types.
- Natural, chemical and biological spoilage of raw and processed food.
- Chemical food poisoning.
- Microbial food illness (food poisoning and food infection).
- General principles, basic and advanced methods of food preservation.
- Functional foods.
- Genetically modified foods
- Defining the various standard specifications of food products.
- Defining the standard specifications of different microbial and chemical tests and how to apply them.
- Detection of pathogenic microbes applying the chemical, serological methods and molecular biology - based methods.
- Different methods to detect bacterial and fungal toxins.
- Methods to determine the pesticide residues.
- Different methods of the chemical analysis.
- Methods of the sensory evaluation of food.
- Environmental management of food plant waste.
- International laboratory accreditation requirements in accordance with ISO 17025: 2017 and how to apply them.
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs)
By completing the program, the graduate of the program must be aware with the knowledge and concepts and acquire the following skills:
Knowledge and Understanding
- Understanding the basic and applied sciences related to food quality and safety.
- Knowledge of good practices in plant and animal production and their role in controlling the food quality and safety.
- Knowledge of manufacturing treatments and processes and their relation to food quality.
- Knowledge of the skills needed to manage and implement food safety control systems.
- Knowledge of the rules and laws related to food quality and safety.
- Knowledge of national, regional and international standard specifications and their role in controlling the quality of food products.
- Understanding the physiological properties of microbes to control their growth through physical and chemical methods.
- Knowledge of the predominant microbial groups in raw and processed foods and dairy.
- Knowledge of the sources of food contamination and causes of natural, chemical, and microbiological food spoilage.
- Discrimination between microbial food poisoning and food infections.
- Knowledge of the bacterial indicators and their relation to the presence of pathogenic microbes.
- Knowledge of the general principles and methods used for food preservation and the role of microbes in preserving and improving the food properties.
- Knowledge of the basics of industrial fermentation.
- Awareness of the importance of implementing food safety management system in food factories in accordance with the requirements of ISO 22000: 2005.
- Knowledge of the principles of environmental management systems in accordance with ISO 14001.
- Knowledge of the different methods to treat the wastes of food factories to avoid their harmful effects on human health and the environment.
- Knowledge of the requirements for international accreditation of food analysis laboratories in accordance with the requirements of ISO 17025: 2017.
- Continuous updating of laws related to the food quality and safety in order to achieve the provision of safe food that meets the requirements of the consumer.
- Specifying the sampling plan to conduct the microbiological analysis of food.
- Designing chemical and microbiological experiments to test the food.
- Interpretation of the results of chemical and microbiological analysis of food.
- Evaluating the food products chemically, microbiologically and organoleptically according to the standard specifications of each product.
- Explaining the results of HACCP analysis during food processing.
- Selecting the most suitable methods for food preservation.
- Specifying the most appropriate methods for the production and preservation of microbial starters.
- Choosing the most appropriate methods to isolate, characterize and preserve the probiotics.
- Listing and classification of food plant waste.
- Selecting the most suitable methods to treat the waste of food factories to ensure protection of the environment and natural resources.
Professional and Practical Skills
- Application of sanitary conditions in food and dairy plants.
- Preparation of food and dairy samples for chemical and microbiological examination.
- Application of microbiological, chemical and organoleptic testing methods based on the standards to evaluate safety aspects of raw materials and food products.
- Application of serological methods and molecular biology - based methods to detect pathogenic microbes in food.
- Using the most recent methods in the chemical analysis of food and detection of pesticide residues, toxins and heavy metals.
- Preparation of microbiological and chemical testing reports of food according to ISO guidelines.
- Implementation of food safety management system in food factories in accordance with the requirements of ISO 22000: 2005.
- Implementation of HACCP (Hazard Analysis of Critical Control Point) to ensure the performance and safety of manufacturing operations on production lines and intermediate stages during production and analysis of final products.
- Application of basic and advanced methods for food preservation.
- Detection of genetically modified foods.
- Establishment of managerial and technical system for quality ensuring in food analysis laboratories in accordance with the requirements of ISO / IEC 17025: 2017.
- Application of different methods of statistical analysis in the field of lab quality and food safety.
- Conducting the environmental studies to assess the environmental impact of food projects.
- Recycling of food plant waste.
Communication and General Skills
- Working in a team.
- Using the internet to obtain relevant reference information.
- Using audio and visual aids in the presentation.
- Collecting and analyzing data to solve relevant problems.
- Selecting the best alternative to maximize the benefit.
The candidate for the position of Rector has been opened. The position is available to both Egyptians and foreigners. The online submission service will be available within days.